Enjoy a quick and delicious pizza, easy enough to throw together any night of the week.
Courtesy of Vegan, published by Hearst Books/Sterling Publishing 2007.
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for greasing
1/2 cup self-rising wholegrain flour
1/2 teaspoon chopped marjoram
2 scant tablespoons rice milk
1 teaspoon wine vinegar
1/4 cup vegan yogurt
Salt and pepper
1 13-ounce can tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped oregano
1 bay leaf
6 mushrooms, sliced
1 red and 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 carrot, grated
1/4 cabbage, finely sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
6 canned artichoke hearts
6 strips baked smoked tofu
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 cup avocado oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 boiled potato
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons vegan bouillon powder
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon chile sauce
1. Oil a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, combine the base ingredients and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and shiny. Roll out to a 12-inch circle, place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
2. Remove the pizza base from the oven and brush with oil to make it liquid resistant. Continue with the recipe for the topping.
For the Pizza:
3. Place the tomatoes in a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
4. Stir the remaining tomato topping ingredients into the pan, then transfer the mixture to the oiled pizza base, bringing it right up to the edges. Arrange the garnish ingredients on top, then return the pizza to the oven for 5 minutes.
5. To make the "cheesy" topping, heat the soy milk until hot but not boiling, then pour it into a food processor or blender. Add the oil and vinegar and blend well. Add the remaining "cheesy" topping ingredients, then spread the mixture over the pizza.
6. Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and bake the pizza for another 5-10 minutes, until the topping starts to bubble and turn golden brown. Serve with a crisp dressed salad.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.