This dish was a huge hit with the office pups who were lucky enough to try it. You may substitute light cream for the kefir for a tastier human version.
1 frozen pie crust
3 cups plain kefir
1 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
4 free range eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
A few grinds of black pepper
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of ground or diced beef or chicken, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Warm the basil and kefir in a small saucepan over low heat for about 10 minutes and set aside.
3. Heat the oil gently in a medium skillet.
4. Add in the spinach and cook until it until it just begins to stick to the pan, and then turn off the heat.
5. Whisk together the warmed kefir, eggs, salt, pepper and cheese.
6. Add all these to the spinach, stirring gently so that everything is thoroughly combined.
7. Sprinkle the meat onto the bottom of the pie crust and cover with the whisked mixture.
8. Bake on the bottom rack for 15 minutes.
9. Transfer the dish to the middle rack of your oven, turn down the heat and bake for another 30 minutes at 350°F (or until it feels firm on top).
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.