4 to 6
1 duck, 3 to 4 pounds, fat removed from cavity
salt and pepper, to taste
4 ounces dried apricots
4 ounces prunes
3 tablespoons Madeira
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1. To prepare the duck, pierce the skin of the breast and legs with the sharp tines of a fork or a paring knife. This will help the fat to render out as it roasts.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Season the duck with salt and pepper
4. Roast the duck for about 45 minutes making sure to turn it from side to side every 10 minutes. The duck should finish breast side up.
5. Skim off as much of the fat as possible from the pan, then add the apricots, prunes, Madeira and broth. Let roast for another 15 minutes. Remove the duck from the roasting pan and let rest for 15 minutes. Reserve the sauce warm before serving.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.