Rice puddings taste great warm but it's one easy dessert you can make ahead so you'll have more time to spend with family on the holiday.
3 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup short-grain rice
1/3 cup organic sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 each pomegranates, cut in half crosswise
1/4 cup organic sugar
pomegranate seeds for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups of milk, rice, sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
2. Whisk together the remaining milk and egg. Gradually stir in about 1/4 of the rice mixture into the egg mixture then add this to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
4. Squeeze the juice from the pomegranates to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, combine the juice with the remaining sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until reduced to 1/3 of a cup, making sure to stir frequently.
5. Just before serving, drizzle the syrup over the rice pudding and garnish with the pomegranate seeds.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.