The combination of vinegar, orange juice and sugar acts as a quick pickling brine for beets in this dish without overwhelming their sweet and earthy flavors.
4 beets (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 8 wedges each
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons raspberry vinegar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 large clove garlic
5 sprigs plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cups (about 4 ounces) mesclun
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
1. Prepare the beets: Place beets, orange juice, 1/3 cup vinegar, brown sugar, garlic clove and thyme sprigs in a pressure cooker and lock the lid in place following the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Over high heat, bring to high pressure. Reduce the heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 4 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and, again following manufacturer's instructions, quick-release the pressure. Once all pressure is released, unlock the lid.
4. Pour the beets and their liquid through a strainer into a large bowl. Discard the thyme sprigs and garlic clove and reserve the beets.
5. Pour the beet liquid back into the pressure-cooker pot and, over high heat, reduce the liquid to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat and let cool.
6. Whisk together the cooking liquid, mustard, salt, pepper, remaining vinegar, chopped garlic and chopped thyme in a medium bowl. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
7. Assemble the salad: On a serving platter, mound the greens and top with the beets. Drizzle the salad with the beet vinaigrette and top with orange sections. Garnish with the cheese and pecans. Serve immediately.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 32.7 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 9.5 mg
Sodium: 816 mg
Carbohydrates: 39.6 g
Fiber: 8.2 g
Protein: 9.4 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.