These strawberry crepes are a great dessert, especially in spring when strawberries are at their seasonal freshest.
To make the crepes:
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour 1 large organic egg
1 large organic egg white
2/3 cup nonfat organic milk
1/4 cup beer
1/4 cup organic granulated sugar
1 tablespoon almond oil, plus extra for preparing the pan
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup water or selzer
To make the compote:
1 tablespoon butter
2 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup organic granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup apple-flavored liqueur
1. To make the crepes: In a food processor, combine the flours, eggs, milk, beer, sugar, oil, vanilla, salt and water; process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. To make the strawberry compote: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; stir until it takes on a light brown color, about 30 seconds. Add the strawberries and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the strawberries are lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside warm.
3. To cook and fill crepes: Heat an 8-inch lightly oiled skillet or seasoned crepe pan over medium-high heat. Ladle about 3 tablespoons of the crepe batter into the pan and swirl to coat the bottom evenly. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, 30 to 45 seconds. Loosen the crepe with a spatula, and quickly turn over with your fingertips. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, 20 to 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, stacking the crepes as they are cooked.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 11-by-7-inch shallow baking dish. Spread 2 tablespoons of the compote along the center of each crepe. Fold in quarters and arrange the crepes in the prepared baking dish.
5. Bake, uncovered until heated through. In a small saucepan, warm the liqueur over medium-low heat until steaming. (Do not boil.) Pour over the crepes and serve.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 42 mg
Sodium: 131 mg
Carbohydrates: 63 g
Protein: 6 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.