This custard dessert, flavored with orange juice and fresh ginger, gets topped with sugar and then broiled, producing a crisp top.
2 cups milk
1 small piece of ginger, sliced
3 large organic egg yolks
1 large whole organic eggs
1 orange, zest and juice
1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the orange zest using a grater. Juice the orange.
2. Combine milk and ginger in a saucepan and heat over medium heat.
3. Combine the egg yolks, whole egg, orange juice, and orange zest together in a medium-size bowl. Add three-fourths of the sugar and whisk until smooth.
4. Strain milk, stirring vigorously, into egg mixture; discard ginger.
5. Divide mixture among coffee cups. Place cups in a deep baking pan and add hot water to the depth of 1/2-inch. Bake until a knife inserted in the center of the custard comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
6. Remove custards form the oven and place in a deep baking pan filled with ice; refrigerate.
7. While custards cool, preheat broiler. Sprinkle each custard with 1 teaspoon of the remaining sugar.
8. Place the custards under a broiler until the sugar hardens and burns slightly. (The ice will help keep the custards cool while the sugar melts.)
9. Let custards rest for 3 to 5 minutes; serve.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 229 mg
Sodium: 81 mg
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Protein: 8 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.