A healthy cocoa cake to add to your flavor arsenal.
Excerpted from Bob's Red Mill Baking Book by John Ettinger and Bob's Red Mill Family, ©2007, published by Running Press. All rights reserved.
Makes one 9 x 9-inch cake
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup rolled wheat flakes
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup rolled triticale flakes
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor or a large bowl. Pulse to cut in the butter, or use two knives, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove to a bowl and stir in the wheat, oats, and triticale. Reserve 1/4 cup of this mixture.
3. Whisk together the cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda and then stir into the flour mixture.
4. Combine the milk and vanilla, then stir into the flour mixture until well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle the reserved crumbs over top.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and a tester comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.