You can substitute orange peel and juice for the lemon, if you like.
3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups low-fat (1%) milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan.
2. Prepare Cake: On waxed paper, combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. From lemons, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 1/3 cup juice. In small bowl, whisk lemon juice, lemon peel, milk, and vanilla until blended.
4. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar, margarine or butter, and eggs until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until creamy, about 3 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
5. At low speed, alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until combined, occasionally scraping bowl. Pour batter into pan; spread evenly.
6. Bake cake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. With spatula or small knife, loosen cake from edge of pan; invert onto rack.
7. Prepare Lemon Glaze: In small bowl, mix sugar and lemon juice until sugar dissolves. With skewer, prick top and sides of warm cake in many places. With pastry brush, brush top and sides of warm cake with glaze. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 22 mg
Sodium: 270 mg
Carbohydrates: 39 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 3 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.