Start your weekend grilling off with a quick and satisfying meal. Grilled mushrooms are a great way to liven up your favorite pasta dish.
1 lb shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 lb buckwheat soba noodles
1 tablespoon gingeroot, minced
1 large carrot, julienned
1/2 lb sugar snap peas, sliced
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. Thread mushrooms on presoaked bamboo skewers.
2. Combine the sesame oil, mirin, and soy sauce and whisk to combine.
3. Brush the shiitakes with the sesame oil mixture and place them on the grill over high heat. Grill for approximately 6 minutes or to desired doneness. Reserve warm.
4. While the shiitakes are grilling, place the soba noodles in boiling water and simmer for about 8 minutes.
5. In a wok or skillet over medium-high heat, add a small amount of sesame oil. Add the ginger and saute. When the ginger releases its fragrance, add the carrots and cook for about one minute.
6. Add the sliced snap peas and incorporate with the ginger and carrots. Once the peas are warmed through, remove from the heat and reserve warm.
7. Drain the pasta and combine with the sauteed vegetables. Add a dash of extra soy sauce, if desired, and mix to thoroughly combine.
8. Garnish with the sesame seeds and serve with the grilled shiitakes.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.