A healthy recipe that uses eggless pancake batter.
Courtesy of The Big Book of Quick & Healthy Recipes, published by Hearst Books/Sterling Publishing ©2007.
For the eggless pancake batter:
1 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
Oil for frying
For the filling:
4 cus fresh spinach
1 tablespoon wheat flour
1/2 cup soy cream/creme fraiche
Pinch nutmeg and salt to taste
A little soy/Gruyere cheese (optional)
1. To make the basic eggless batter, mix the batter ingredients and set aside.
2. Gently cook the spinach in a saucepan of water until soft.
3. Add the flour and stir for 30 seconds, then add the cream, heat and season.
4. Heat a little oil in a skillet, pour in the batter and fry the pancakes for 2 minutes on each side.
5. Top with 1 tablespoon of filling, roll and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle with soy or Gruyere cheese and broil or bake at 230 C/450 F for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Serve hot.
(based on individual servings)
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.