Ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg combine to create a sweet, autumnal flavor. Enjoy the flavors of fall with these tasty granola bars!
Makes approximately 18 1-oz bars
1 tsp. butter
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups brown rice crisp cereal
3/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup Grade B maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spread the almonds and pecans on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven for 68 minutes, or until they start to brown a bit.
2. In the meantime, grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with the butter and set aside. Now, mix the oats, rice cereal, cranberries and toasted almonds and pecans in a big bowl.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the syrups, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger and vanilla extract over medium-high heat, stirring to avoid burning. Once the syrups come to a light boil, continue to cook for an additional 35 minutes until the syrup begins to thicken, then pour it over the oats and nuts. Mix everything together so that the syrup evenly coats everything in the bowl.
4. While its still warm, pour the contents of the bowl into your prepared baking dish. Using a rubber spatula, pat everything down so its nice and compacted. I like to place some parchment or aluminum paper over the top and really press down so that the bars dont break apart when you eat them.
5. Let cool to room temperature. You can also put them in the fridge for a bit since thisll make cutting easier. Cut them into square or rectangles as you please.
Recipe courtesy Bitchin Camero blog.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.