We also have suggestions to jazz them up to please a variety of cravings, so pick your favorite flavor family -- teriyaki, barbecue or herb.
1 pound ground chicken breasts
1 medium carrot, grated (1/2 cup)
2 green onions, minced
1 garlic clove, crushed with garlic press
4 hamburger buns, warmed
Sliced cucumber, lettuce leaves and green onion (optional)
1. Prepare Basic Burgers: In medium bowl, with hand, mix ground chicken, carrot, green onions and garlic until evenly combined.
2. On waxed paper, shape chicken mixture into four 3 1/2-inch round patties (mixture will be very soft and moist).
3. Place patties on grill over medium heat and cook about 12 minutes or until juices run clear when center of burger is pierced with tip of knife, turning over once. (If you have a grill with widely spaced grates, you may want to place burgers on a perforated grill topper to keep them intact.)
4. Place burgers on warmed buns. Serve with cucumber slices, lettuce leaves and green onions if you like.
5. Teriyaki Burgers: Prepare and cook Basic Burgers as above, but in step 1, add 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar, 2 teaspoons grated, peeled fresh ginger and 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil to ground chicken mixture. (Prepare burger mixture just before cooking to prevent ginger from changing texture of meat.)
6. Barbecue Burgers: Prepare and cook Basic Burgers as above, but in step 1, add 2 tablespoons chili sauce, 1 tablespoon light (mild) molasses, 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper sauce,* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 teaspoon salt to ground chicken mixture.
*Cayenne pepper sauce is a milder variety of hot pepper sauce that adds tang and flavor, not only heat.
7.Herb Burgers: Prepare and cook Basic Burgers as above but in step 1, add 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill, 1 tablespoon dried mint, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) to ground chicken mixture.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.