The recipe calls for Golden Delicious apples for their consistently good flavor, but feel free to substitute other varieties.
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 large onion (12 ounces), coarsely chopped
3 medium Golden Delicious apples
2 pounds carrots
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
2 cups water
half-and-half or heavy cream for garnish (optional)
fresh chives for garnish
1. In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, peel apples and carrots. Cut each apple in half and remove core. Cut apples and carrots into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
3. Add apples, carrots, broth, sugar, salt, ginger, and water to onion; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove Dutch oven from heat. Spoon one third of mixture into blender; cover, with center part of cover removed to let steam escape, and puree until very smooth.
5. Return soup to Dutch oven; heat through. Serve soup with a swirl of half-and-half, if you like. Garnish with fresh chives.
Nutritional Information (based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 1,022 mg
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 3 g
Originally published in Good Housekeeping.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.