1 cup water
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup bulgur
1 can (15 to 19 ounces) reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 container (6 ounces) plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 cup shredded Kirby (pickling) cucumber (about 1 small)
4 whole wheat hamburger buns
4 lettuce leaves
1 medium tomato, sliced
1. In 1-quart saucepan, heat water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling over high heat. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, with potato masher or fork, mash beans with 2 tablespoons yogurt until almost smooth. Stir in bulgur, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, and half of mint until combined. With lightly floured hands, shape bean mixture into four 3-inch-round patties.
3. Heat nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add burgers and cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through, turning them over once.
4. While burgers are cooking, prepare yogurt sauce: In small bowl, combine cucumber, remaining yogurt, remaining mint, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
5. To serve, divide lettuce, tomato slices, and burgers among buns; top with some yogurt sauce. Serve with remaining yogurt sauce.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Sodium: 960 mg
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Fiber: 13 g
Protein: 16 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.