sea salt or Kosher salt
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and scored with an X through the stem bottom
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon lightly crushed fennel seeds
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chestnuts from a jar
1 cup soft pitted prunes, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the sprouts. Boil the sprouts, uncovered, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or 2-quart baking dish in which they will fit in a single layer.
3. Drizzle with vinegar, maple syrup, and oil, dot with butter, and sprinkle with the fennel seeds. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Roast for 20 minutes. Stir in the chestnuts and roast 10 to 15 minutes or until the sprouts are crispy.
5. Stir in the prunes and bake 3 minutes to heat through. Serve hot. Season with salt before serving.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.