The meat is slow-simmered in a robust red-wine sauce with sliced red onions and a variety of herbs.
1/2 ounce sliced dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
1/2 pound small white mushrooms
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds), trimmed
4 medium red onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cans (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup brandy
4 large whole fresh sage leaves
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Thyme sprigs for garnish
1. In small bowl, soak dried mushrooms in 3/4 cup boiling water 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cut off and discard stems from shiitake mushrooms; trim stem ends from white mushrooms. Wipe both kinds of mushrooms to remove any sand.
2. With slotted spoon, remove porcini mushrooms from soaking liquid, reserving liquid. Rinse porcini mushrooms to remove sand; chop. Strain soaking liquid through sieve lined with paper towel. Set aside.
3. In 8-quart Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add brisket and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove brisket and set aside. Add onions to Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook until browned, about 2 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Return brisket to Dutch oven. Stir in chopped porcini mushrooms, mushroom liquid, whole shiitake and white mushrooms, broth, red wine, brandy, sage, bay leaf, thyme leaves, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Heat to boiling over high heat. Cover Dutch oven; 1/2 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.
5. Remove meat from Dutch oven to large platter; let stand 15 minutes. Skim fat from sauce in Dutch oven. Discard sage and bay leaf. Heat sauce to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes to thicken sauce slightly. Stir remaining 2 tablespoons parsley into sauce. Slice brisket across the grain. Serve brisket with sauce. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 98 mg
Sodium: 320 mg
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Protein: 34 g
Pair with yummy Oven-Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Fennel and Tarragon or Potato Latkes with Pear Applesauce.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.