This recipe is fun to make and tastes delicious. Its a real departure from more usual dog treats! Each of the ingredients here is laden with antioxidants or other important nutrients that support the immune system, especially during stress, chronic illness or aging. You will need a small size muffin pan and small paper cups for this recipe.
1/4 cup flax meal (or milled flax)
1/2 cup dried or fresh blueberries
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon kelp powder
1 teaspoon vitamin C powder (optional)
2 large free range eggs
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients including the blueberries (the first six items in the list) in a mixing bowl and fold together to combine thoroughly.
3. Add in the moist ingredients (the last three on the list) and stir again to form a thick batter.
4. Pour this batter into mini muffin pans with paper cups so that they are about half full.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350°F until firm to touch.
6. Cool thoroughly before serving and store in an airtight refrigerator for up to a week.
7. The muffins can also be frozen, if desired.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.