This flavorful and hearty black bean soup tastes like it's been simmering for days. Soak the beans overnight to cut down on prep and cooking time.
3 teaspoons olive oil
4 bacon slices, diced
1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup black beans, soaked overnight
6 cups water
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup long-grain rice
1 mango, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 bunch scallions, sliced thin
1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 lime, juiced
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon, onion and garlic; saute until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in cumin; cook an additional 1 minute.
2. Add the beans, two-thirds of the water, vinegar, and half of the salt to the onion mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, about 40 minutes.
3. Combine the rice, remaining water, and remaining salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until cooked, about 10 minutes. Keep warm.
4. To make the mango relish: Combine the mango, bell pepper, scallions, parsley, and lime juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
5. Puree the cooked beans, adding additional hot water if the soup is too thick.
6. Fluff the rice with a fork. Prepare a rice mold by rubbing the inside with a small amount of warm water. (A 1/2-cup measuring cup can be used for the rice mold).
7. Using the measuring cup as a mold, place a mound of rice in each soup bowl. Ladle soup around the rice and top with mango relish.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 614 mg
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.