These banana chocolate bars incorporate sweet banana chips and dark chocolate pieces for a healthful snack that can be made in less than 30 minutes!
Makes approximately 20 1-oz bars
1 tsp. butter
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups cashews, coarsely chopped
1 cup banana chips, chopped
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups brown rice crisp cereal
1 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup Grade B maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spread the almonds and cashews on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven for 6-8 minutes, or until they start to brown a bit. Remove from oven and let cool.
2. In the meantime, grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with the butter and set aside. Now, mix the oats, rice cereal, banana chips and chocolate chunks in a big bowl. Add the nuts once theyve cooled.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the syrups, salt and vanilla extract over medium-high heat, stirring to avoid burning. Once the syrups come to a light boil, continue to cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until the syrup begins to thicken, then pour it over the oats and nuts. Mix everything together so that the syrup evenly coats everything in the bowl. Your chocolate chunks may melt at this point, but that doesnt matter itll just spread the chocolate-y love throughout.
4. While its still warm, pour the contents of the bowl into your prepared baking dish. Using a rubber spatula, pat everything down so its nice and compacted. Let cool to room temperature. You can also put them in the fridge for a bit since thisll make cutting easier.
5. Cut them into square or rectangles as you please.
Recipe courtesy Bitchin Camero blog.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.