A winning combination of asparagus, smoked mozzarella, and homemade roasted red peppers brings great flavor to a simple pizza. Add a tossed salad for a light meal. Or, try more healthy homemade pizza recipes.
2 medium red peppers
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package quick-rise yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 pound thin asparagus, trimmed*
6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1. Preheat broiler if manufacturer directs. Line broiling pan with foil. Cut each pepper lengthwise in half; remove and discard stems and seeds. Place peppers, skin-side up, on foil-lined pan and broil at closest position to source of heat, 10 minutes or until skin is charred and blistered. Remove from broiler. Wrap foil around peppers and allow to steam at room temperature 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. (Wrapping peppers in foil to steam makes it easier to peel off skin.) Turn oven off.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, stir flour, yeast, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in 3/4 cup very warm water (120 degrees to 130 degrees F) and 2 teaspoons olive oil until blended and dough comes away from side of bowl. Knead dough 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle large cookie sheet with cornmeal. Shape dough into 2 balls; place in diagonally opposite corners of cookie sheet, each 3 inches from edges of sheet. Cover; let rest 15 minutes.
4. While dough is resting, remove peppers from foil; peel off skin and discard. Cut pepper halves into thin strips; set aside. Cut each asparagus stalk into 2-inch pieces. In small bowl, toss asparagus with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. With dough on cookie sheet, pat and stretch 1 ball into a 10-inch round. Bring edge of dough up, folding to make 1-inch rim. Arrange half of cheese, half of red-pepper strips, and half of uncooked asparagus on crust. Repeat to make a second pizza. Cover pizzas and let rest 15 minutes.
6. Bake pizzas on bottom rack in oven 25 to 30 minutes until topping is hot and crust is browned and crisp. Sprinkle pizzas with black pepper.
* If thin asparagus is unavailable, use medium asparagus, cutting each stalk lengthwise in half before proceeding with step 4.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 33 mg
Sodium: 730 mg
Carbohydrates: 52 g
Protein: 17 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.