The better the balsamic you use for this recipe, the more deeply flavorful this special salad.
1/2 cup pecans
1 fennel bulb, large
1/4 cup walnut oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 pound mesclun
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, aged
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place pecans on a baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 5 to 6 minutes. Let cool, then chop and set aside.
3. With a paring knife, core the fennel bulb, then shave into long thin strips.
4. Warm the walnut oil in a saute pan over low heat. Add the shaved fennel and cook, stirring, until softened but still somewhat crisp, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the dried cranberries and pecans to the pan and continue to cook, stirring, until cranberries are plumped, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
6. Add the mesclun greens to the pan, drizzle in the balsamic vinegar, toss and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Divide among salad plates, pouring any liquid left in the pan over the salads. Serve warm.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 24 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 187 mg
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Protein: 2 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.