Serve with a little ice cream or whipped cream, if you like.
Excerpted from Bob's Red Mill Baking Book by John Ettinger and Bob's Red Mill Family, ©2007, Published by Running Press. All rights reserved.
Makes one 13 x 9-inch cake
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup cocoa powder, divided
1 cup milk
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1 cup pecans or hazelnuts, chopped
1 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 cups boiling water
1. Make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish, or line it with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, and half of the cocoa. In another bowl, combine the milk with the butter and vanilla.
3. On low speed, beat the milk mixture and the honey into the flour mixture. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Combine the remaining cocoa with the brown sugar and sprinkle over the batter. Drizzle the water over the cake.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.