Enjoy these crunchy cookies with a cup of espresso, for dessert, or as a snack.
Excerpted from Bob's Red Mill Baking Book by John Ettinger and Bob's Red Mill Family, ©2007, published by Running Press. All rights reserved.
Makes approximately 4 to 5 dozen biscotti
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons orange zest
2/3 cup almonds, finely chopped
1. In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl, cream the eggs together with the sugar until light lemon-yellow, then beat in the butter until well blended. Add the vanilla, almond extract, zest, and almonds and mix well. Stir in the flour mixture until a dough forms. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into two 12-inch long rolls. Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes, or until just beginning to brown.
5. Remove the loaves from oven and leave them on the sheet to rest for 10 minutes. Cut each log into 1/2-inch thick slices, return the slices to the baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Turn the slices over and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.