Courtesy of Vegan, published by Hearst Books/Sterling Publishing ©2007.
Makes 8-10 brownies
2 1/4 cups wholegrain flour
1 cup rice milk or water
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup rapeseed oil
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon carob powder
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup dried plums, pitted
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon ground almonds
1. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and oil lightly. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the flour in a saucepan and mix in the rice milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thick. Set aside to cool completely.
3. Combine the soy milk, oil, cocoa and carob in a bowl and stir until smooth.
4. Transfer the cooled flour mixture to a food processor or blender, add the sugar, plums, dates, salt and vanilla and blend until smooth. Add the cocoa mixture and blend again.
5. Mix the remaining flour with the baking powder and the ground almonds, then add to the plum mixture and blend again. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 25-35 minutes, until firm to the touch.
6. Cut into slices and serve hot with a scoop of vegan ice cream and some grated vegan chocolate.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.