Courtesy of "The Big Book of Quick & Delicious Recipes", Published by Hearst Books / Sterling Publishing ©2007.
7 ounces fettuccine pasta
3/4 cup walnut halves
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 thick slice bread, crumbled and soaked in milk/soy milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water with a little salt and oil.
2. Meanwhile, pound the walnuts in a mortar (reserving a few to garnish), together with the garlic, parsley, and a little salt, until you have a rough paste.
3. Squeeze the milk from the crumbled bread, add the bread to the mortar, and mix well. Then add the oil and the basil (and a little of the milk, if necessary), and mix until you have a thick green sauce.
4. Drain the cooked pasta and stir in the pesto sauce.
5. Season, garnish with walnut halves, and serve with Parmesan or brewer's yeast flakes.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.