Make this pasta dish strictly vegetarian by substituting vegetable stock and seitan for the chicken.Courtesy of The Big Book of Quick & Easy Recipes, published by Hearst Books/Sterling Publishing, 2007.
1/2 cup chicken/vegetable stock, heated
1 red bell pepper, chopped and deseeded
1 large chicken breast/5 ounces seitan, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus some for frying and tossing
1 pinch cayenne pepper
7 ounces green tagliatelle
1 tablespoon basil, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste.
1. Pour the stock into a small Dutch oven, add the red bell pepper, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, fry the chicken or seitan slices in a skillet with a little oil until golden. Set aside.
3. Puree the red bell pepper with the stock, slowly adding the oil, and season with salt and cayenne pepper.
4. Add the fried chicken or seitan to the sauce and mix.
5. Cook the tagliatelle in plenty of boiling water with a little salt and oil. Drain the pasta and return it to the pan.
6. Toss with oil and basil, and season with salt and black pepper. Serve as nests on two large plates with the sauce in the middle.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.