Whether cut from the loin, rib, or shoulder, pork chops braised in liquid in a tightly covered pan will stay moist and juicy. Maintain a gentle simmer for tender chops.
12 ounces Swiss chard
1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons pine nuts (pignoli), toasted and chopped
4 pork loin chops, each 1 1/2 inches thick (about 10 ounces each)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup dry white wine
Confetti Pasta (see below)
1. Finely slice Swiss chard. In 2-quart saucepan, heat Swiss chard and 1 inch water to boiling over high heat, cover and cook 5 minutes. Drain, pressing hard to squeeze out excess liquid.
2. In same saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat, stir in Swiss chard, raisins, pine nuts, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
3. Cut a pocket from rib side of each chop, inserting knife near bone. Slice parallel to surface, widening pocket as you go. Do not cut through to edge.
4. Fill pockets with chard stuffing, gently press closed. Pat chops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
5. Add chops to skillet, cook until browned on both sides. Add broth and wine, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour, or until chops are tender. Prepare Confetti Pasta, keep warm.
6. Transfer chops to platter, keep warm. Increase heat to high and boil pan juices until reduced to 3/4 cup. Skim fat from pan juices. Serve chops with juices poured over and Confetti Pasta.
Confetti Pasta: Cook 1 cup orzo (rice shapped pasta) as label directs, drain. In nonstick 10-inch skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add 2 medium carrots, shredded, 1 zucchini (8 ounces), shredded, 1 garlic clove, minced, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in orzo, heat through.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 31 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 113 mg
Sodium: 955 mg
Carbohydrates: 47 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 60 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.