Other breakfast meats such as ham or bacon work well in this recipe too. We've even been known to substitute in a bit of firm tofu too!
1/2 pound bulk turkey breakfast sausage
8 slices 1/2-inch cubed white bread, crusts removed
3/4 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 large eggs, beaten lightly
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard or Dijon
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, cook the sausage until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well on absorbent towels.
2. In a 1-quart prepared souffle dish, arrange a 1/3 of the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese
3. Top the cheese with the sausage then sprinkle with half the remaining bread cubes. Sprinkle half the remaining cheese over the bread. Top with the remaining bread cubes.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
5. Pour the mixture over the strata and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Drizzle the top with the melted butter, cover and chill for 1 hour or overnight.
6. Bring to room temperature and let stand for 45 minutes. Place the souffle dish in a baking pan and add enough water to the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the dish.
7. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven until golden brown and set (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours).
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.