This savory heirloom recipe brings comfort-food to your table to celebrate special occasions but also works well any day of the week. Single cup-sized portions make serving a cinch.
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 small carrot, grated
2 cups small broccoli florets
10 ounces medium egg noodles
2 yellow onions, grated (about 1 1/4 pounds)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounces sour cream
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
4 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Heat oven to 375° F. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the salt and the carrots and cook for 1 minute. Add broccoli and cook 1 more minute, transfer vegetables to the ice water, let cool, and drain.
3. Bring the pot of water back to a boil, add the noodles and cook for 8 minutes. Strain and cool under cold running water.
4. Combine the remaining ingredients, except 1/2 cup cheddar, in a large bowl; add the broccoli, carrots and noodles, and gently toss.
5. Pour the noodle mixture into a 3-quart casserole or eight 8-ounce dishes; top with the remaining cheese.
6. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the pudding and continue to bake for 20 more minutes. Let the pudding cool for 10 minutes before serving.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 30 g
Cholesterol: 193 mg
Sodium: 327 mg
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 7 g
Originally published in Country Living.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.