Toasted poppy seeds give this dish an extra lift.
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
3 grapefruit, preferably pink or red
6 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
3/4 pound spinach, fresh, trimmed, washed and torn
1/2 jicama, small, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add poppy seeds and toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes.
2. With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 1/3 cup of the juice and set aside.
4. Place garlic cloves in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
5. In a blender, combine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, honey, cooked garlic and reserved grapefruit juice. Blend until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
6. In a salad bowl, combine spinach, jicama, onions, and grapefruit sections. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Arrange on salad plates and garnish with the toasted poppy seeds.
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 140 mg
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Protein: 3 g
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.