This recipe can be made with virtually any sort of fish. Fish is a good choice for pets with skin sensitivities that flare up with more common meats like chicken or lamb.
4 fish fillets of your choice, such as salmon or cod
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes (1/4 inch for cats)
8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (canola or other oil may be substituted)
2 heads fresh fennel, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the sweet potato cubes in a pan of water and boil gently for about 12 minutes until tender.
3. Place the pieces of fish in a 1 inch deep baking pan.
4. Drain the sweet potatoes and carefully arrange the cubes around the fish.
5. Next add the sliced fennel, scattering it evenly around the sweet potato and fish pieces. Add the olive oil liberally and sprinkle on the crushed garlic.
6. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
7. Allow to cool enough to eat.
8. Your pets portion may be served alone as an occasional meal replacement, or fed in small portions along with his usual fare.
9. Season your portion with black pepper and sea salt. Mayonnaise and grated parmesan cheese make interesting, optional accompaniments. Serve with a glass of chilled white wine, if desired!
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.