Here's a reminder: Like fruits and vegetables, fresh herbs should be washed before eating.
Six family members in Gaithersburg, Maryland, became sick after eating the same mint-flavored stew at a family function, according to Fox 5.
Symptoms included, nausea, dizziness and hallucinations.
The source of the illness? Officials are guessing it is likely pesticide residue on the fresh mint added to the stew.
According to the report, one family member who did not eat the stew and didn't get sick said that those who got sick acted as though they were high on marijuana. He explained to Fox 5 that his grandmother made a potato stew for a family gathering. She added mint plucked from a nearby garden and it may not have been washed properly. Authorities say those leaves could have been coated with organophosphates, which are highly toxic pesticides.
While it is well known that pesticides kill insects and other garden pests, experts give a reminder that they can also kill people.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.