For those who don't have a lot of time to bake bread, here's a recipe that makes up quickly and tastes delicious!
3 loaves or 30 buns
4 cups all-purpose flour (approx.)
4 cups whole-wheat flour
2 Tbsp. instant yeast
4 Tbsp. sugar
6 Tbsp. canola oil
2 tsp. salt
3 cups very warm water (but not hot)
1. Beat eggs in large bowl. Add sugar, oil and salt and beat again. Add 3 cups white flour, water and yeast. Beat mixture for 3 minutes with mixer on medium speed.
2. Add 2 cups whole-wheat flour and stir in with a wooden spoon. Add 2 more cups whole-wheat flour and stir again with a wooden spoon. Gradually add the remaining cup of white flour until a slightly sticky dough forms. (Add a little more flour if needed.)
3. Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and knead for 23 minutes. Coat the top and bottom of the ball of dough with oil. Place in a bowl, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
4. Punch down and let rise for another 15 minutes.
5. Punch dough down again. Make small balls of dough and place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Cover with a towel and let rise 20 minutes or until almost double.
6. Bake 20 minutes at 350F. Dough can be shaped into three loaves. Place in greased bread pans, let rise as for buns and bake for 35 minutes.
This recipe was contributed by The Daily Green's community of conscientious cooks. Share your tastiest, favorite recipes too!
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.