This is a great summer dessert recipe that's lighter than ice cream and uses garden fresh strawberries.
For the sauce:
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/3 cup raspberry jam
For the lemon mousse:
Juice and the grated rind of 3 large limes, 1/3 cup of juice
3 teaspoons of gelatin powder
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup granulated sugar plus 2 Tablespoons
2 cups yogurt
Julienne of mint leaves for garnish
1. To make the sauce, combine the chopped strawberries and the raspberry jam in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Blend until smooth.
2. For the mousse, place the lime juice and rind in a small stainless bowl. Soften the gelatin in this liquid. Place the bowl over a pan of boiling water. Heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Place the eggs yolks and sugar in a stainless steel bowl set over simmering water. Beat with a whisk until the yolks are light lemon colored. Continue beating for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the gelatin mixture. Then stir in the yogurt. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until doubled in volume and foamy. Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar and beat the whites until stiff peaks form. Rapidly fold the egg whites into the yogurt mixture.
5. To serve: Layer the mousse into champagne flutes alternating layers of raspberry sauce and mousse. Chill until firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
Source: Priscilla, Chester, Connecticut
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.