2 cups all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup fresh blueberries
Unsalted butter to cook the pancakes
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
2. In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk and melted unsalted butter and mix well.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently, preferably with a spatula, just until the ingredients are all wet. The batter should be lumpy. Do not over mix!
4. In a pan, melt 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Ladle the batter into the pan 1/3 of a cup at a time. Depending on the size of your pan you can make 2 or 3 pancakes at a time. If you want smaller pancakes use less batter.
5. Sprinkle the blueberries over the pancakes and cook until bubbles appear along the edges and surface of the pancakes. The edges will begin to brown slightly (should take 2 or 3 minutes).
6. Carefully flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 2 or 3 minutes.
7. Serve the pancakes with butter and maple syrup.
Source: GP at the Fish Creek House, via e-mail
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.