These brownies are a wonderful chocolate treat made even a bit more flavorful with the taste of coffee.
16 chocolate graham crackers
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons instant coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cups dates, pitted, chopped
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
chocolate frosting, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8-inch by 11-inch prepared baking dish.
2. Place the graham crackers in an encloseable bag and lightly crush with a rolling pin or the bottom of a saucepan until you have crumbs. Pour into a bowl then add the cocoa and salt. Mix well with a wooden spoon and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the instant coffee and vanilla.
4. Fold in dates, chocolate chips and the graham cracker crumb mixure. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
5. Bake brownies for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan. Frost if desired.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.