You don't have to be a devout oenophile to appreciate wines that have been produced organically and by clean farming methods. Here's a short list for choosing wines for $25 and under that were either made with sustainably or organically grown grapes, are from organic or USDA-certified organic vineyards or were made without aid of animal-derived ingredients.
Quid Pro Quo on Eco-Friendly Wine Terminology:
1. Cava Brut Reserva (Vegan), Can Vendrell, Penedes, Spain, NV $19.99 Tasting notes: Somewhat dry, flavors of green apple, pear and almonds.
2. Sauvignon Blanc, Frog's Leap (Organically Grown Grapes), Napa Valley, CA, 2005 $17 Tasting notes: Clean mineral tastes, stone fruit flavors with aromas of citrus and stone.
3. Pinot Gris, Ponzi Vineyards (Sustainable), Willamette Valley, Oregon, 2006 $17 Tasting notes: Creamy texture on the tongue, exhibits a long finish with flavors of fresh ripe pears and figs.
4. Syrah, Frey Vineyards (Organic), Mendocino County, CA, 2003 $11.25 Tasting notes: Smacks of blackberry, plum and clove flavors. Known for its earthy finish and tartness.
5. Zinfandel, Coturri (Organically Grown Grapes), Sonoma Valley, CA, 2003 $25 Tasting notes: Known for its "port like" style, intense ripe berry flavors and well-balanced acidity.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.