Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Chew Bars (Jan 2011)
Update: Recall expanded Jan. 27.
A purportedly green product made in Pakistan is being recalled by its Indianapolis distributor, Circle City Marketing and Distributing (doing business as Candy Dynamics).
Marketed as a green business that supports the environment by encouraging kids with green tips, Candy Dynamics is recalling
all three flavors of its Toxic Waste-brand Nuclear Sludge chew bars all flavors and sizes of Toxic Waste-brand Nuclear Sludge products. It would be funny if it weren't a serious health issue: The children's candies and chew bars contain excessive lead, which can cause irreversible brain damage if ingested.
A recent test performed by the California Department of Public Health has indicated that a lot (#8288A) of the cherry-flavored chew bars contain elevated levels of lead (0.24 parts per million 2.4 times the limit set by the Environmental Protection Agency). All flavors of the product ever made, from 2007 through January 2011, are being recalled.
Identify the products from the packaging:
- Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Cherry Chew Bar 0.7 oz (UPC 0 89894 81430 6)
- Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Cherry Chew Bar 0.3 oz (UPC 0 89894 81901 1)
- Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Blue Raspberry Chew Bar 0.7 oz (UPC 0 89894 81420 7)
- Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Blue Raspberry Chew Bar 0.3 oz (UPC 0 89894 81801 4)
- Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Sour Apple Chew Bar 0.7 oz (UPC 0 10684 81410 7)
- Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Sour Apple Chew Bar 0.3 oz (UPC 89894 81701 7)
They were sold individually, and as part of a "Party Bag" or Membership kit, and packed in 30 ct., 80 ct., and 120 ct. bags and a 120 ct. fishbowl. The recalled Nuclear Sludge® products were distributed nationwide in retail stores and through mail orders. The product was also distributed in Canada and in very limited quantities in Guatemala, Ireland, Jordan, Korea, Mexico and El Salvador. None of these products should be for sale in the U.S. anymore, and the company has discontinued sales in the U.S.
For information, call Candy Dynamics at 317-228-5012 (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EST).
If you are concerned that your child was exposed to lead, The Daily Green recommends these six steps for testing and eliminating sources of lead.