The legendary and brilliant comedian George Carlin passed away Sunday at the age of 71. According to his publicist Carlin had been suffering from heart trouble, and died of heart failure.
One of the most beloved funny men in recent memory, Carlin pushed the envelopes of humor, satire and American self-reflection, mixing rapid-fire delivery, rhyming, heart, attitude and much more. His craft challenged his audience to think, and he was often praised and criticized for controversial jokes.
In the 1970s Carlin's famous "Seven Dirty Words" bit prompted a Supreme Court showdown, which ruled 5-4 that the sketch was "indecent but not obscene." This paved the way for greater freedom of expression in the arts and media throughout the country.
Carlin drew on many different topics for his humor and commentary, so it's not surprising that he touched on the environment from time to time. As a small tribute to this pioneering artist, The Daily Green has put together this list of our favorite George Carlin quotes on green themes. Please add yours to the comments, too.
1. "If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?"
2. "Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong."
3. "Oh Beautiful for smoggy skies, insecticided grain,
For strip-mined mountain's majesty above the asphalt plain.
America, America, man sheds his waste on thee,
And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea."
4. "Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning."
5. "That's all your house is: a place to keep your stuff... Sometimes you gotta move, gotta get a bigger house. Why? No room for your stuff anymore."
6. "Kilometers are shorter than miles. Save gas, take your next trip in kilometers."
7. "The planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE! Pack your shit, folks. We're goin' away."
8. "Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?"
9. "I have nothing against the planet per se. I root for the big comet or asteroid as a way of cleansing the planet. The comet or asteroid 65 million years ago is probably what gave us our opening to replace the reptiles."
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.