The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International is asking its members to accept this 7-point voluntary challenge to reduce environmental impact:
1. Continue to work towards a goal to decrease energy consumption by 30 percent across your portfolios by 2012.
2. At least once a year, benchmark your energy performance and water usage through EPA's ENERGY STAR benchmarking tool (and share your results with BOMA);
3. Provide education to your managers, engineers, and others involved in building operations, to ensure that equipment is properly maintained and utilized;
4. Perform an energy audit and/or retro-commissioning of your building, and implement low-risk, low-cost strategies to improve energy efficiency with high returns;
5. Extend equipment life by improving the operations and maintenance of building systems and ensure equipment is operating as designed;
6. Through leadership, positively impact your community and your planet by helping to reduce your industry's role in global warming; and
7. Position yourself and the industry as leaders and solution providers to owners and tenants seeking environmental and operational excellence.
Source: BOMA International
Read more about this story from TDG here.
Enter your city or zip code to get your local temperature and air quality and find local green food and recycling resources near you.