By Dan Shapley
People who want to see the world, but are aware of the cost to the environment of all that air travel and easy living are increasingly on the lookout for environmentally friendly hotels. It's not always easy to know how green a hotel or resort is, but here are five questions to ask if the hotel certified green by a third party independent organization or state.
- Does the hotel have a program to reuse towels and linens?
- Does it have a 100 percent nonsmoking policy?
- Does it have a guest recycling program?
- Does it use compact fluorescent lights instead of incandescent bulbs?
- Do housekeepers use nontoxic cleaning products?
For more ideas, and a list of third-party certifiers, read the story in the June 17 Virginian-Pilot.