By Dan Shapley
Advertising Age lauded "eco-marketing honorees" this morning at its first-ever Green Conference in New York City. Marketers were honored for integrating environmental sustainability into their brands, and for providing services that better the environment. Flexcar, the commercial urban car-sharing company, took the top honor. While mainstream companies attempt to make their products more 'green,' we''ve taken our 'green' idea and made it more mainstream," Flexcar CEO Mark Norman said in a statement released to the press. "The result is more convenience and cost savings for members, less congestion for communities and cleaner air for us all. The other honorees were:
- Toyota, the maker of the hybrid Prius.
- Aspen Skiing Company, the first certified "green" ski slope.
- Ben and Jerry's, the socially conscious ice cream maker.
- HP, which has undertaken recycling and energy efficiency initiatives.
- Timberland, which has begun labeling its products based on their environmental impact.