By Dan Shapley
The Santa Ana "Devil Winds" continue to whip up fires in California. This weekend, 10 new fires were added to the National Interagency Fire Center's list of new fires -- all of them in California. All told, the 10 fires are burning 84,135 acres, and they've claimed at least one life, left dozens injured, and burned several structures, including a landmark estate in Malibu.
- Roca - Riverside County: 125 acres. 20% contained. This fire is near Aguanga, east of Temecula.The Jojoba Hills Resort and Rancho California RV Park are threatened with the mandatory evacuation of 700 residences.
- Sedgewick - Los Padres National Forest: 710 acres. 50% contained. Two hundred residents in the Woodstock area are under an evacuation warning, and 250 homes in the Brinkerhoff Road area are threatened.
- Ranch - Angeles National Forest: 29,000 acres. 10% contained. This fire is six miles north of Castaic. Currently evacuations are in effect in the Hasley Canyon, Oak Springs, Val Verde and Piru area. State Highway 126, petroleum fields, a condor sanctuary and the Sespe Wilderness are threatened.
- Canyon - Los Angeles County: 2,400 acres. 10% contained. Mandatory evacuations were implemented in Monte Nido, Malibu Colony, Malibu Road, Sweetwater Canyon, Puerco Canyon, Carbon Canyon, Carbon Mesa, Rambla Pacifica, Big Rock and Topanga Canyon tactical zone 8. Several roads in the area are closed.
- Buckweed - Los Angeles County: 20,000 acres. 0% contained. This fire is near Mint Canyon Road and the Sierra Highway. Communities of Santa Clarita, Castaic, Leona Valley, Green Valley, Acton, Agua Dulce, Mint Canyon are threatened.
- Coronado Hills - San Diego County: 300 acres. 0% contained. The communities of Discovery Hills, Coronado Hills and San Elijo Hills are threatened.
- Witch - San Diego County: 10,000 acres. 0% percent contained. This fire is east of Ramona. The community of Ramona under evacuation. Hwy 78 is closed from Ramona to Santa Ysabel, Wildcat Canyon is closed, and Hwy 67 is closed from Poway Road to Ramona.
- Harris - San Diego County: 14,000 acres. 5% contained. Strong winds are hampering suppression efforts. Fire is burning around the Potrero CalFire station and structure protection is in place.
- Santiago - Orange County: 7,500 acres. 30% contained. This fire is near Irvine. Several communities along the Santa Ana Canyon corridor are threatened. Strong winds with gusts of up to 73 miles per hour were reported. Hwy 241 is closed from Santiago Canyon to Hwy 133.
- Grass Valley - San Bernardino National Forest: 100 acres. Percentage contained is unknown. This fire is north of Lake Arrowhead. Mandatory evacuations are in effect for the entire Deer Lodge Park area, and all streets north of Brentwood in the Trinity Area.